View Single Post
Old 15th August 2019, 03:21   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool More tea?...................

............................................... Oh! Go on then, seeing as there was a buffet carriage. I declined the chance of some cake but not Michael. We had a nice chat about life on our train trip back to Toddington. Once back on the platform we wandered over to the narrow gauge that runs alongside the main track. Only goes about half a mile but the engine shed is worth a visit where you will find a ex-sugar cane engine that worked it’s socks off in South Africa. Still operational.

Parked behind is a ex-sugar beet engine that hails from Poland, again still up and running. Waiting to be finally to get it’s boiler fitted is a ex-first world war German engine used to carry supplies to the troops.
Also in the sheds are some of the open carriages including the only Wembley carriage know to exist out of the 15 made. Found in a garden in Tewksbury and being used as a garden shed. Now fully restored. Plenty of history including some very rare footage of the carriages been hauled by a tractor.

Either side of the original track, for these carriages were pavements. The engine or tractor that pulled the carriages had it’s rear driving wheels straddling the track. The front wheels of the tractor sat on a bogie on the rails and was coupled to the carriages, could only pull three at a time. This idea was the way forward or so the designers thought. It never caught on hence the demise of the carriages.

After our narrow gauge ride it was back to the cafe for more tea but this time I had some cake, and Michael had some as well. The weather had turned to showers again.
We were off to another National Trust house in the back of beyond in the quaint village of Snowshill close to Broadway. This house is worth a visit being owned by a very eccentric gentleman who collected the most amazing things. I won’t spoil the description but if in the area it is worth a visit, if you can find it.

Then after even more tea we left and drove back to the hotel. Lost our usual parking space but there was plenty of room to park.
To our rooms to freshen up and out to dinner at the Prince of Wales.
Believe it or not but Michael follows in his late fathers footsteps at going to church. Michael like his Dad wanted to go to the Catholic Church in the evening for prayers. So after we had eaten he went off and I stayed in the pub for another cider, and to pay the bill. My turn tonight.

Then I strolled back to the hotel as far as reception where I waited for Michaels return. Once he was back then we ventured around the corner to the Talbot for another pint. Very nice hotel as well, and better prices. Food looked good but limited choice.
After leaving there Michael phoned his daughter, after a brief chat she asked to speak to me. Laura had some very kind words to say about her Aunt, my Val. Cheered me up.
Then Michael and I had a look at the Royal Hall, no idea where the entrance was other than behind those massive gates. Turns out it is a function hall for weddings and such. The hall is on the market for £395,000. Blast I’ve just bought the house.

Then we strolled back past the Royal Oak hotel, bar entrance in the car park. That didn’t stop Michael trying to get in through the locked front door. And onto our hotel. We agreed to meet for breakfast at about 8am. We are off for another stroll down memory lane plus another trip to a National Trust house, nothing like getting your moneys worth.
Now very tired after a very emotional day, so early night for me.

Many thanks for reading, and the pm’s about how to bury a body. I worry about you lot at times. Night night.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote