View Single Post
Old 25th June 2018, 22:47   #10
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Thanks folks, I now know how better to look after these batteries which are not in regular use.

The battery was tried a day or two later, cranked OKish but car didn't start, then at second attempt car did start and was run for 20 minutes or so. I might be lucky and get some more life out of it yet, fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I don't know if this explains your situation, but using DI water to top up a battery that's had an acid spill will dilute the electrolyte to a lower density than it was before. This may have an effect on the charging. It really depends on how much was spilled. Lost electrolyte should be replaced using sulphuric acid of the same strength. Normal DI water top-ups simply replace water lost from the solution by evaporation.

TC
Well, it is hard to give a volume, but the plates were visible in at least some of the cells, but the level in those cells was not far below the tops of the plates. So not a huge amount of water was added.

Also important to note that the car has always been a bit slow at cranking, whatever battery is fitted (not sure but I suspect there were issues in the car's past as it had a couple of replacement alternators and an ammeter fitted when I first got it, it was never run before a different main loom was fitted for unrelated reasons). Next step for investigation is the starter motor, appears to be totally original (40 years old) - I think I did try a different one which was a bit better.

So I think the next step is to fully charge the battery and take it off charge as soon as it is full, and check/top up the electrolyte if required (might not be).
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote