View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2018, 09:30   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Nut View Post
I'm not a battery expert but isn't there a risk of explosion fire to constant charging due to gasses that are produced in these types of batteries?

There is that risk with all lead acid batteries. The gas produced (Browns Gas) is extremely explosive - a perfect mix of oxygen and hydrogen, ready to to combine to water. An additional risk is that of the exploding battery spraying its acid around the area - it just needs a tiny spark.

If any (one or more) cell is gassing, it suggests the battery needs to be replaced. It indicates that the heavily gassing cells are faulty. Once off charge and a brief load applied, the voltage will decline rapidly. Once left for any length of time in a discharged state, the battery will be unlikely to recover.

I have many lead acid batteries and I have ruined a few in the past, relying on 'maintenance chargers' connected long term. My regime now is to connect them for sufficient time to fully charge a low battery, but never longer than 48 hours. I then give each a boost charge every 2 or 3 months.

I have my caravan on 240v, in the drive, with its 13.8v on. I used to leave the battery connected to the 13.8v to keep it maintained, but lost several sealed batteries due to them drying out. Now my regime is one of not leaving them connected, my present 110ah battery is good as new five years down the line.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 23rd June 2018 at 09:33..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote