View Single Post
Old 18th June 2018, 20:52   #1
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Default Battery electrolyte escaped whilst charging.....!

OK, not a 75/ZT battery, but I would be very grateful for any assistance

I have a traditional maintenance-type battery with caps/vents (Enduroline brand), purchased 2013. Used regularly for some weeks/months at a time, and then not used for several months, but put on charge every so often.

At one point it did get knocked over and some acid came out (exit one Haynes manual and an old pair of shoes!), topped up, seemed OK, used daily for a few weeks last summer, all OK. It may have stood for a while after unused and possibly gone flat, but has been charged since.

I use an automatic battery charger, charges at 3.6amps then drops to trickle at 0.8amps.

At times the battery is left on the charger for several days at a time - as it drops to trickle charge I assume this is OK.

A month or so ago, the battery had been on charge for a few days. A few days, or maybe a couple of weeks later I put it on charge again.

The problem: After less than an hour on charge, I noticed a small amount of electrolyte had bubbled up out of the vent cap on the second cell to the left of the positive terminal. I took it off charge immediately and haven't touched it since.

Can anybody please tell me why this happened and if it is safe to just check/top up the electrolyte levels, charge and continue to use it?

I haven't come across this before and I do not know what is safe to do next. Advice appreciated.

Regards, Bolin.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote