Old 20th February 2022, 10:48   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
lucky. Is it just fatigue that has cause that? I don't think in the 8? years of being on the forum anyone else has mentioned that sort of failure.

Just thank your lucky stars it happened when it did.
If you had an American car you would have rolled over a few times and blown up in a ball of fire

How well does the auto engine brake?

macafee2
Hi Ian.
Yes i think rust fatigue inside the rubber part as caused it, yet to fully investigate, the Auto can be controlled easy by throttle pedal as you can just creep home and as said the hose had no popped until i was on my drive just was most likely leaking.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
Exactly what happened to my auto couple a weeks ago , but was a back pipe.
Luckily I was just turning the car round to do the autobox fluid, but happened at the road junction, so a momentary bum twitch
A tiny pin hole from rust

C
Hi Chris
yes it make you think another local member as had his brake fail due to rust holes in the pipe where the it goes through the clips under the car, so they really do need checking, i check mine every couple of months but never even saw what as happened to mine.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Good to hear all is ok and no incident Steve, There are problems that come around with the older cars as we all know, some older cars on the mot test brake rollers do the exact same thing. Makes a mess and frightening when you think this could happen at any time. Glad you're ok and it should be a fairly easy job to rectify & possibly worth checking the other corners of the car. Many things can cause this type of disaster, which include the lack of supporting calipers properly when changing pads generating stress to flexible and rigid brake pipes which never got designed to be treated in such manner.
Glad you got home ok.
HI John.
Thanks for your concern very lucky indeed no incident, i have heard of a few failing when going through the MOT mainly hose splitting though not fail where mine did, i have already ordered four new hoses, and will most likely change all the brake pipes now as well even though front to back pipe had been done just before i purchased the car back in 2018.

The hoses are original from what i can see so seeing that they are 18 years old not bad, but it is worth thinking if any pipe work need doing you may as well change the hoses as well.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote