Old 22nd April 2022, 16:22   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Michael,

In my experience this could be one of four things.
  1. Contaminated hydraulic tappets, particularly as the car has not been fully used for 6 years. One or two doses of Comma "Flush Out" is effective for this. This product is not added to your oil, it temporarily replaces it but with the car stationary at a fast idle only. After use, change the filter and refill with 10W40.
  2. Cuts in the ancillary belt rubber. An inspection via the OSF wheelarch will reveal this.
  3. Worn timing belt tensioner and/or idler pulleys. What was the mileage when you renewed the belts? It's hard to say when mine started being noisy but it was well after 50,000 miles.
  4. A rattling power valve linkage in the manifold chamber.

If you've removed the engine sound-deadening cover to determine that the noise is without question the tappets, then proceed with using Flush Out.

Simon
Hi Simon. The flushing oil process. I have never been one for using anything in an engine apart from engine oil. When you use the flushing process, have you given any thought about how much is still retained in the upper part of the engine when it is drained out?