View Single Post
Old 6th June 2020, 20:26   #19
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Alan,

I'm assuming that by "original" you mean R134a and by "new" you mean R1234yf.

I've done a quick search and it's said that R1234yf is a "drop in" replacement for R134a, meaning that no changes are necessary. It may be that a minor adjustment is made to the charge but I believe that it will still be determined by weight. As SWorks says, the automatic machines contain a bottle of refrigerant sitting on a set of scales which isn't visible to the observer.

Simon

I guess you could drop in apples to the oranges. However I have no idea what you would end up with. The two gases are interchangeable after a nitrogen flush, mixing the two is not a good idea, it’s a total different chemistry. A top range professional system should not even attach to the connectors. Sadly there are many cheep professional looking units that will do anything and fit anything.
A top range unit has a large bottle of old style virgin gas which sits on a digital scale. It also has a smaller bottle of the new style virgin gas, again sitting on a digital scale. The reason that the new style gas bottle is smaller is a system requires less of the new style gas to do the job. This kind of unit also has two recovery vacuum tanks .
Each side of the unit is a dedicated system!

Sadly the theory was the old gas would not be sold after April 2018. But a bit like halon fire extinguishers where no Virgin gas was to be produced or sold after 2006. No country put into place a gas disposal scheme. Also they forgot that the Aircraft industry require Halon as all aircraft must have halon fire fighting systems onboard. Also the gas has to be 98.5% virgin gas minimum.
I guess no aircraft have been built since 2006. OH that’s right they still produce virgin gas. Sadly the children who dream up these wonderful ideas to save the planet, have no understanding or experience of the real world.

The result of the plans to ban old style gas production and its sale meant that in the lead up to Hydrocarbon day the Chinese built thousands of A/C degas / regas machines that were pressure valve controlled, which were sold all over Europe.

I personally can not understand why anybody would think vacuum testing a pressure system would be a good idea. You would never pressure test a boiler by placing it under vacuum. They are tested under hydrolic pressure test then subjected to a steam test under operating conditions. But hey what do I know. Just cos that’s the way they have done it for the last two hundred years does not mean they are correct. Or does it?
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote