View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2019, 21:30   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
My recent daft idea, was tamping gravel down in between the slabs at the back of my drive, where I park the caravan. I decided the easy way was to use my SDS chisel, in my SDS drill, but with a bit of bar welded on the end like a T. Drill set on roto-stop, so it just hammered and compacted.

All went well, it worked absolutely great, except I became careless and accidentely flipped the roto-stop to rotation and - by do those SDS have some torque. The T flipped out of the gap and gave my ankle a really good crack as it span. Plenty of blood and an indescribable amount of pain.

Several years before, using an electric saw to trim the side of a door, the door wasn't well enough held, moved and I ran the saw into the end of my right index finger. It chipped the end of the bone, cut through the nail which I later lost, lots of blood, but surprisingly no pain at all. I rinsed it, wrapped and drove myself to A&E. To my surprise it healed up absolutely fine, despite the damage, but the tip had no feeling at all, even that seems to have come back now.

At work, dealing with a flooded bank and banking hall. For safety I had isolated all supplies and installed some temporary sockets for dehumidifiers, pumps, temporary lights and aquavacs, for the guys called in to dry the place out. I had fitted RCD's to every socket for safety made it clear to everyone that no equipment was to be run without the RCD protection and written large warning notices to that effect. In my absence, another fool of an engineer had visited site, found that one of the dehumidifiers was tripping its RCD, but worked fine if plugged directly into a socket, so had made an assumption that the RCD was faulty and despite instructions and notices, had left it without an RCD.

Harry arrived early next morning, in the dark, opened up, walking into the still dripping banking hall, feeling his way around, across a soaking wet carpet and happened to touch the live metal case of one of the dehumidifiers, the one which had its RCD protection removed. Harry was thrown across the banking hall and was unconscious for several seconds. The stupidity of some people, just defies belief.

strange how the body does not send pain signals for some incidents. When I chopped the top off of one of my fingers, there was no pain

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote