Old 16th August 2019, 06:11   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.timms View Post
Thanks for all the info. Update!
Yes, my memory is shocking - if it happened after 1975 I'm in trouble . . . .

I just remembered, the Webasto worked fine for years, then died and I had it replaced with one from eBay last year - I'm wondering if it's a different type, and this is the root of the problem? How do I tell, please? There are two plugs on the Webasto: one has 2 wires - black and orange. The other has three wires in a line left to right - blue, white, grey/green, and a 4th brown below the blue. The blue has been cut, and connected to a (green!) wire that has been added, going through the illuminated switch to earth. I did say I have memory problems :-(

The unit fires up, heats for 10 minutes then switches itself off if I press the switch, but the illuminated switch was half coming on sporadically - it now stays on "dim" all the time, irrespective of the ignition switch. There is no separate supply - the light is in the switch, and illuminates when it is "on". Is there a fuse I can remove as a temporary solution?

I'm not able to do much myself, and am having trouble finding an electrician to look at it - is there anyone I can pay to sort it if I come to you, please?
I think the satnav (yes, it was a typo!) issue is unrelated - the satnav wire plugs into a cigarette lighter socket wired to the battery, but this is dangling on top of the plastic cover above the pedals, next to the place where the Webasto switch is mounted, so maybe I disturbed it trying to investigate the Webasto?
on the side of the webasto should be a sticker with the model number, post the model number here for advice on which pin to earth.

I'd be tempted to disconnect all "add on's" so the FBH can be tested as a stand alone item.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote