View Single Post
Old 27th November 2020, 15:39   #15
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I have now played a hose directly on to all of the areas you have suggested. There was no ingress. Finally, I lifted the boot lid and played the hose under some pressure directly to the side valleys and top seal and let it run heavily into the rearlamp clusters. Nothing, no ingress. Is there a more demanding test I could try? Shall I spray form the underside?
I've been looking for where the water is getting in on and off for months now.
Your splash test should have shown this up but there is a seam where the rear wing and the boot frame join along the side gutter's of the boot - it runs from up the C pillar to the top of the rear light aperture; the join in the area of the rear screen lower corners isn't always flush. If the sealant has failed here water gets into the cavity and runs down the seam line and then drips inside the boot just above the rear light bulb plattern - which is a bit misleading if your checking the rear light seals. There is another possibility of water getting behind the boot lid hinge plates via the two fixing bolts, carefully remove the bolts and give the threaded holes a dose of sealant (do the 4 bolt one at a time so the hinges don't move).
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote