View Single Post
Old 12th August 2019, 20:43   #49
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Whenever traversing Australia by truck is mentioned I always think something more like this:

An electric version would be impressive.

No image showing for me - got a link to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
Can't help but think that some (winter's) day there will be a a snow storm and the motorway's will be blocked and drivers trapped in their cars. No problem, keep the engine running and stay warm until rescued.

But not the poor driver in the electric car faced with the dilema - heater on or keep enough power to be able to get home ................
IIRC, heating an EV can take roughly 2 to 3% of battery per hour in a smaller battery car like the previous Nissan Leaf or the outgoing Hyundai Ioniq. So even if you were down below a quarter capacity to start off with, you'd still be alright for warmth if you ended up stuck for a good 9-12 hours. More recent EVs have bigger batteries than those, so as said above it's more akin to being caught out in a snowstorm with the fuel light on - if you can't or won't look at the forecast and prepare for the possibility of getting stuck, it's your own fault!

In any case, most if not all current EVs have the option of heated seats and steering wheels, which use a significantly lower amount of juice than heating the air inside the cabin. Meaning this is really another "sky falling in" non-issue to be added to the list in the youtube video a few posts back.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote