View Single Post
Old 11th March 2014, 16:44   #17
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
AIUI, the EU have said that Scotland would need to apply for membership in their own right - and as a 'new' member would be required to adopt the Euro.

If Scotland were outside the EU, then we would need to enforce border controls and HMRC at the Scotland/England border. A bit like putting Hadrian's Wall back into service...

As far as the Nukes are concerned, the subs could easily be based at Devonport or Portsmouth. Faslane can keep the leaky on ethough...
There are International legal experts still arguing about whether if Scotland vote yes, both Scotland and the remaining UK may both become “successor states.” The argument being that without Scotland the UK is no longer the original country that applied for EU membership and has effectively also became a new state. If the EU tries to block an independent Scotland from joining, I think it would be fair to say the legality of the UK's continuing membership may be questioned. That's assuming the rest of the UK have not already voted to leave the EU themselves after their own referendum. The current UK membership is not as straight forward as the likes of France for example, being that the membership is already made up of four widely recognised individual countries.

I personally haven't made my mind up which way I will vote yet because there still isn't enough information but it is getting quite annoying that a couple of multi millionaire politicians continue to try and to tell us we aren't capable of running a country and somehow they can do a better job than we can.
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote