coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post

African Fish Eagle, Black Kite, Sacred Ibis Kenya

by Philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr

Photographed on 1 July. Out of shot below the tree were several Nile Crocodiles and Hippos in a water reservoir at the Nairobi National Park. Covid-19 restrictions in the park prevents motorists from getting out of their cars. Sadly, I couldn't get close enough.

The 300mm lens struggled with the shot, as it was almost maxed out even with the X2 digital magnification/digital crop.

Not the best shot in terms of details, MP or clarity, but I thought it made an interesting photo.

In post-edit, I had to de-noise and in doing so, lost some of the finer details.

Critique is welcomed
Some spectacular wildlife there Phil.
I'm guessing you weren't wading in the water to take that shot?

Not sure what you could have done differently given the constraints of the equipment to shoot at the distances involved.
There is a reason why big fast super long telephoto prime lens cost the money they do

I wonder if you could use a teleconverter with that lens to get you closer to the action?
I have found cropping post production tends to give better results than using a digital crop in camera.
Maybe worth doing a few test shots using both methods to see which works best for you?

Whatever, you have captured a scene that is very unique and most of us will never get to see in the flesh so to speak