View Single Post
Old 5th November 2019, 17:28   #149213
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
I remember the first time on a train where the a fresh heavy snowfall was above rail level so that you couldn't actually see the rails, just snow straight across, that was just weird . . . . and somewhat unnerving at first!

Severely pee'd off one brutal winter night when I hit a snowdrift and got snow into a traction motor (huge electric motor that drives the wheels, one per axle) while at full power putting about 1,800amps down to the traction motors. Remember it well, there was a bang and a brilliant blue flash lit up the countryside, "WTF was that?" then the engine shut down and wouldn't even turn over when I tried a restart! Driver only freight so I was on my tod, before the days of mobile phones etc, had to apply handbrakes to secure the train then walk over a mile in knee deep+ snow to the nearest lineside phone to speak to the signalman and wait there in the falling snow for an assisting loco. I made enquiries after the event and was told snow had got into one of the traction motors causing a catastrophic earth fault sending the 1,800amps to earth through the motor casing blowing the cr@p out of the power circuits including the main generator!

Blimey! I bet that shook you up, How much form filling in did that entail?
Back in Blighty on a BR Class 101 out of Darlington......just overshot the platform at Tee's airport , still Winter

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote