View Single Post
Old 6th January 2019, 19:03   #7
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballymenaman View Post
My V6 has been sitting unused for about a month. When I went to open it tonight the battery was so discharged that I had to use the key to open the door. I attached a 'smart' charger to the battery and it was registering at 4.7 v. I then noticed a regular clicking noise from the fusebox - probably a relay. Any ideas what's causing this? Is it safe to attach a 'fast' charger? I hate to admit it but I suspect the battery is toast!!
I would be surprised for a battery to be that flat after standing for just a month unless there is something draining it down?

If the battery is that flat then you will need a proper battery charger and it may well take a couple of days to fully charge, unfortunately most modern batteries are sealed so you can't take specific gravity readings - these are the most accurate way of checking the status of charge of a lead-acid battery.

I would not use a 'fast' charger, if the battery is very low with a low internal resistance the high current from a boost charger may well damage the battery.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote