View Single Post
Old 15th February 2016, 14:48   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975 View Post
my mate had a golf r32 a few years ago and he got hit from behing by a taxi,clearly not his fault as he was stationary at lights at the time,the car was 2 years old at the time and when it was new,came with dunlop sp sport tyres,now 2 weeks before the accident the replaced the worn out dunlops with michelin pilot sport as they had better reviews on performance cars etc.....anyway the insurance company wouldn't pay out as the tyre brand was not the same as it left volkswagen as that's what volkswagen 'specified' the car should run on........
I don't doubt what you say - and i am sure the "Lowest Price" - "Cheap Cheap Cheapest" - "bottom of the barrel" insurance companies will find any excuse not to pay out - and your post sounds like a classic example.

A tyre change for equivalent spec tyres is not a reason to decline a claim. The FOS is quite clear on this. In fact even fitting diabolical Chinese Death Rings to your car does not invalidate your insurance as long as the audit trail states that they are the correct tyre type for your vehicle.

I know for a fact that there are some insurance companies out there who are financially weak with a correspondingly poor "Claim Paying History" who work on the principle that they simply provide a piece of paper that makes you legal to drive.

Do not for one moment think that in the event of a claim they will be of any use or support whatsoever.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote