View Single Post
Old 11th November 2007, 14:30   #20
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Hi there and welcome to the Club!

I've towed my 5 berth caravan with my manual, diesel ZT-T for 2 summers now and have no regrets about changing from my diesel Discovery. Well, I say no regrets but that would be to forget about towing in South Devon this summer. The clutch worked hard on some hill starts and getting off the hilly, grassy site at the end of our stay was 'interesting'. Four wheel drive and a low ratio box would have been very helpful.

That trip aside, the MG makes a superbly comfortable, smooth, stable, economical and stylish tow car. We towed with four bikes on the roof and the boot loaded to the ceiling. It's worth looking to see if any potential purchase has a luggage net built into the loadspace cover. This enables you to load up to the ceiling, clip the luggage net into the roof without having your luggage joining your kids on the rear seats.

One minor point worth mentioning, the Rover 75 tourers could be specified with self-levelling rear suspensions, which would be an advantage and ride an inch or two higher than the MG, which is worth considering as our MG sits very low to the ground and the Witter towbar sits exposed below the rear bumper. You can fit spring assisters to either model, but overall I think the Rover models make slightly bettrer tow cars.

If you buy a car without a towbar already fitted, don't get the Witter set up. Buy the OEM 'Brink' towbar (which sits flush with the rear bumper) and invest in the OEM MG Rover electrics. These will cut off the reversing sensors if fitted (believe me, that's worth having), show the trailer's indicators flashing on the dashboard and also show you if a bulb has gone on the trailer.

Nose weight limit is 100 Kg which is excellent for this size of vehicle.

Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote