Old 16th August 2018, 07:39   #7
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderz View Post
It really is just awful!

Story so far seems to be unfolding into something from a crime novel

If it's true that it was all built, maintained and operated my the Mafia, could this disaster finally be the event that finally ends their stranglehold on everything?!
It wouldn’t surprise me if there were some sort of kick backs in the history of this and other bridge construction - we are talking of Italy after all

But the other issue that is coming out of this is the budget restrictions placed on recent Italian Governments (quite a long list! ) by the EU. Italy has a huge budget deficit- the largest in the Eurozone and the EU set low spending targets for the country’s governments which if - as being reported by Bloomberg- shows that maintenance of this bridge and others was compromised then the already strong anti EU feeling in Italy will increase I am sure.

They have an anti EU Government coalition in power at the moment who have been pushing for the EU to relax the spending restrictions for Italian infrastructure projects. If a link - however tenuous - can be established then I can see far more than a war of words breaking out between the EU and the Italian people.

What a mess .....

Last edited by Darcydog; 16th August 2018 at 07:42.. Reason: Typo
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote