View Single Post
Old 7th February 2020, 06:57   #18
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
In 2011, at the family wine farm in the Western Cape, South Africa, we were hit by a wild fire which came to us from our neighbours who had been doing a controlled burn to take out the pine woods and water thirsty vegetation. As you said Pine trees germinate in the wind and the growth from them can easily spread. On the morning of the fire on our neighbours property the wind got up and so did the fire. We called the fire brigade to them and 13 fire engines attended. The fire jumped over the engines and came at us fast and furious. Because of our location, the fire brigade helicopters came too late. In the final analysis, we had to save ourselves and return later. The fire brigade sent us a bill to pay for the helicopters (3 of them) at $1000 each per hour. Eventually the insurance company settled with them. We were threatened with being credit blacklisted unless we paid up, so we had to hold our nerve until the underwriters agreed to pay out to the fire brigade.

It took us 3 years - 4 years to rebuild the house and the farm. The house is rented out and the money is reinvested back into the farm and the mountain. Clearing the firebreaks and keeping them cleared, costs us £5,000 per year using men and machines. Its too dangerous to have a 'controlled burn'.

I sincerely hope the Australian government helps those in need and those who were not insured. My heart goes out to the victims.

This month in South Africa it is usually very hot and the risk of bush fires is high.

Ariel photo fire 16 April 2011
by philip Gate Keeper, on Flickr

Ladder

after the fire
thank goodness for insurance. not sure I'd know where to start to rebuild

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote