View Single Post
Old 6th February 2018, 01:42   #13
Trisman
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesternester View Post
Any handy tips would be gratefully accepted.Thanks for the reply.
I received some helpful tips from this very forum when I asked about doing the job!

See: Diesel Alternator thread

Best was to use a magnetic probe extension thing. It came in very handy, as did ensuring the tools I used were magnetic.

Be extra careful with the (non magnetic & tiny) brass nuts. Though if your car has the later 2 pin regulator, it look like they won't be quite as small.

Hopefully, the 2 pin regulators don't make use of the black gloop either.

I was able to get away without loosening either the filter housing or PAS reservoir, but I did loosen the dip-stick tube.

To fit the new regulator over the slip rings, I used a length of masking tape to hold the bushes up against their spring pressure. Once the regulator was in place, I gently pulled the masking tape from between the brushes & the slip rings.

You'll see what I mean when you try to fit the regulator without compressing the brushes...!

Good luck!

Mods: EGR delete. Synergy 2E. In-line Thermostat. Electric, heated black leather seats. Chrome Skullcaps. Black steering wheel. 18" MG ZT 11 spoke wheels. Plenum spy-hole. In-dash Sat-Nav. Mesh grill.
Repairs: Rad fan. Clutch/flywheel. Exhaust. Rear light seals. Front bushes & ARB links. Springs. A/C regas. Alternator regulator. Window 'B' post trim.
Future: Remote boot release.
Front end drop, 160 remap..!?

Last edited by Trisman; 6th February 2018 at 19:14..
Trisman is offline   Reply With Quote