View Single Post
Old 9th January 2021, 13:27   #13
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Is it a Model 3 he has? He must have the standard range version, which at this time of year would need a recharge after around 180 miles. A huge advantage of having a Tesla has been the free supercharging at their own network, meaning you wouldn't need more than a 10-15 minute stop, but I think they stopped making it free to new customers at some stage in the last year or two. A long-range variant Model S would easily manage 275 miles on a single charge even in this cold weather, but of course you pay for this option.

Tesla are certainly still the leaders when it comes to driving (ahaha) progress when it comes to range and recharge times, with 400+ miles between charges expected from next year's Cybertruck and 600 (!) miles between charges for the Roadster, but these are far from being mass-market cars, so this sort of range probably won't be available to the ordinary punter for a few more years.

They aren't as far ahead of the competition as they used to be, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new Hyundai Ioniq 5 will be like when it comes to market in a few months' time. It's a mid-sized crossover, so similar in size to the Golf+ or Tucson, with a 300 mile range and 350kW charging, meaning you could drive 300 miles and add another 250 miles of range in 15 minutes at the right charger. Still too pricey for me at an expected £40k, but definitely a serious competitor to the likes of Tesla, Nissan, Ford and VW and probably built better than any of them.

Renault are bringing back some of their old model names from the 1960/70's to electrify them https://eminetra.com/renault-plans-a...-and-4/296673/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote