View Single Post
Old 4th March 2019, 05:31   #4
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
A bit of a chicken and egg question - If you don't know where to start then you've got a whole lot of learning to do first. By which time you'd have enough idea to make a better question and ask at the right forum for software development. If all you want is a simple report based on some data, then Excel might be all you need. A more complex solution might require a proper database - and there's many different ones to choose from. And any programming language to write the application in - some will be better suited than others...

Do you know how to design a database? How much data are you considering working with? how many tables (at a guess) etc.. etc.. Where will the data come from, how will it get into the database? What prior experience (relevant to software engineering) do you have?... and more.

Throwing any solution suggestion out without more information than 'produce a report from some data' is really quite meaningless I'm afraid. You can develop in many programming languages/ data driven environments for many solutions. Choosing the optimal solution is the tricky bit, that requires a lot more information & research.

If you think that what you are attempting is simple requiring very little data manipulation then try a spreadsheet. - Although that wouldn't strictly meet your 'standalone application' requirement.
I do know where to start with the production of this application, but it was more of a 'what do people use themselves to write an application' sort of question.

As with most software development, I am not going to give information away that the client doesn't want in the public domain so to speak (even though that client is family).

But to give a little more...... the data will be entered by the client as needed, and reports printed based on the entered data. Oh, and it needs to be accessible by more that one PC at a time, so Excel isn't suitable.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote