View Single Post
Old 5th December 2020, 21:58   #16
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ53 DGO View Post
Never having done steel I can't say how to load these properly but a load should ALWAYS be secured correctly as you never know if or when you will need to brake harder than usual or take evasive action. I would say something like 50% of steel carriers I've passed on the road have had lose chains. I've even been shocked on occasion that drivers have used straps to restrain steel 'I' beams with no sleaves on them!
Back in the early 70's I had a light haulage job as a student. Rubbish for the hours worked, but my main compensation was getting to drive a Ford Transit V4 pick up truck. One job was to deliver an incinerator door to Porton Down. The boss used old clothes lines to tie it down and I wasn't happy but told to get on with it!. I had to brake heavily when an overtaking car cut me up and the 1 ton steel door tried to join me in the cab. The steering went really heavy for the rest of the journey. A bit later I argued with my boss overloading the truck with around fifty steel gates, again tying off with clothes line. After around ten miles the load toppled out on a ( fortunately deserted ) minor road which got me fired (for being careless.)
Lots of hard lessons learned working for that guy, especially how not to secure a load.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote