View Single Post
Old 30th May 2020, 13:11   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I generally use Sandisck cards in both slots and shoot to both cards in raw format so everything gets backed up. slot one is a CF card and slot two is an SD card. I use a 32 gb in slot 2 as that is just as back up and the CF card is between 4 and 8gb due to lowering the risk of a card failure and losing images even though there's two cards. All images taken were available on the second card. Mrs sworks managed to recover the card using iSkysoft which i'd recommend but I no longer trust the card so it's gone in the bin. I remove the CF card and use a card reader as it's easier than connecting the camera to the computer and realise the risk of pin damage but I don't use the camera anywhere near as often as I would like. Interestingly the two failures I have had was a Kingston card and a generic one yesterday that was bought as a present. I think both were about 3-4 years old.
Check the pins, especially on the card reader. I threw one out recently, as it could read there was data on the card, but that was as far as it went (I could not open the card at all). There was at least one pin flattened. I dont know how I did it, as from years experience with so called faulty cameras, I was super careful.

The bent pin marked the plastic on my card, so I dumped it too. If the card is physically damaged around the pin holes, it increases the risk of damaging a pin in the camera too. So check the edge of the card where the pin holes are,for Mark's or small grooves. Quite often this will be the first evidence of a damaged or lost pin.

If you have a bent pin, sometimes you can straighten it with a fine flat head screwdriver. But, they are fine pins, and can break. I had a 50% success rate with this, but, they generally do not survive a second bend (so not using the damaged card in that slot again is imperative).

As you have an sd slot also,I would recommend using it as the main slot. They are more forgiving in terms of sliding it in and out.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote