View Single Post
Old 20th February 2020, 12:25   #10
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Hi There!

I am still around, but have to admit that I am not a frequent visitor to this forum at the time. Poke me with a PM, and I will be here

Regarding this car, I have seen her advert and have done the same thoughts as you. I does not know the details in this case and thoroughly checking is needed to see if this engine is repairable within reasonable limits.
Garages do often go the easy way and recommend "new engine". Especially here in Norway where the labour cost is high and knowledge with Rover engines pretty bad.
Basically, this is something I would have been able to fix if I have had time. It could be as easy as a gasket issue, (IMG or HG). For all we know, the head gasket could have failed due to low coolant/overheating caused by a leaking thermostat housing. The big question here if the engine has been damaged due to potential overheating?. Cylinder heads are replaceable/repairable and liners/piston also if needed, but this kind of work is only done by competent DIY-ers as garages will only replace the engine.
I guess this is pretty frustrating for her.

Rgds
Einar
I have no doubt at all that you could fix it having seen most of your previous posts. And it is very frustrating, like my wife she hasn't a clue what she's even looking at, left to the mercy of the garage and their opinion.

In my opinion the inlet gasket does support evidence of coolant leak into no.2 cylinder but unfortunately I haven't seen any photos of the headgasket or the other IMG. The cam cover gasket is seriously de-laminated, worst I've seen, baked? Wondering why with evidence of IMG failure they then whipped the cylinder head off and removed the whole engine.

But would like to hear your opinion on the state of the inlet manifold gasket, as I'm only an hobby mechanic.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote