View Single Post
Old 10th December 2018, 12:01   #22
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Broadly I always agree with Brian on issues relating to Rover 75s - however in this case I'll agree to differ.

The automatic cars are significantly less economical than my manual one, but having said that, in day-to-day driving, if I pay no attention to how I drive and also do plenty of stopping and starting then I get about 43 to 47 MPG. It's only when the conditions allow me to drive in a very fuel-conservative way that I can get figures exceeding 60 MPG. The best way of conserving fuel is not to use the brakes unless you have to. If conditions allow then coast on the over-run for as long as possible before coming to a halt and watch the MPG increase as you get several hundred yards of distance without burning any additional fuel. Oh, and check your tyre pressures, too!

My previous best (calculated using distance traveled on the odometer and fuel added to a previously brimmed tank) came in at around 55 MPG where the car had indicated (IIRC) 57.6, so I reckon from that margin of error an indicated 60.1 must be around 58 MPG.

The only other place where error in calculation can set in is if the car's odometer is over-reading. That is, of course, a possibility which I can test, using Sat Nav on a flat road.
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote