View Single Post
Old 19th August 2019, 07:41   #10
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
omg not cheap, I'm reeling seeing the price ...
These brushes were created specially for us Ian. I sent an old one of mine to the company and they examined the material and drew up a specification. The contact area is shaped to fit the commutator exactly and the connection is by braid, exactly like the originals. They are a custom-designed, high quality product. I repaired my fan motor with them and that was ten years ago. One or two people have chosen cheap brushes on e-bay of unknown origin. They failed very quickly.

These brushes won't be a high volume sale for Engineering Carbon Products. After deducting first class postage they cost less than £5 each (remember they're custom-made). You compared the cost to that which you've paid for your spare fan which is second-hand and will require a new gold resistor. You also don't know the condition of the commutator or the brushes and, unless you've tested it, you don't even know whether the PCB works. Your purchase carried an element of risk, as all second-hand sales do. There isn't really a comparison to be made with the ECP brushes. I'm therefore surprised that you've made a fuss about what is, after all, a small amount of money for any repair on a car.

Regards,

Simon