View Single Post
Old 26th April 2022, 18:36   #73
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
You are not going to try it but say ".....and I'm not at all convinced that the supposed safety concerns have any validity." All you are left with is your opinion despite you being given an example test to try to see if your opinion is one you can prove or disprove to be correct.

Do you still think slowing in gear uses more fuel then coasting in "neutral"?

macafee2
Your stated safety concerns do not apply in the situations where I would consider coasting. Therefore your experiment is entirely irrelevant! An equivalent would be a blanket statement (not by me) that driving with the lights off is dangerous. I would counter that in some situations, driving with the lights turned off (eg daylight!) is absolutely fine - to which you would reply "Just you try driving with the lights off in the dark and see how well it goes". Would you be surprised if I declined to try it?

And yes, I suspect that slowing in gear uses (slightly) more fuel than coasting in neutral, because in the former case the engine is turning at higher revs, and therefore needs more fuel to stay running than an idling engine. But I'm happy to be proved wrong!

Last edited by Torqueofthedevil; 26th April 2022 at 18:50.. Reason: Attempt at clarification
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote