View Single Post
Old 7th August 2012, 21:41   #32
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

I now need to get it Mot'd as it ran out a couple of weeks ago or pay the body shop to come and collect it so I have it booked in for Friday.

So meanwhile I decided to have a go at one of the 260 annoying features especially so on the blown cars as the engines get even hotter.

The throttle cable.

Mine has been horrid - notchy and gritty for almost as long as I have owned the car we tried rerouting the cable whilst at the Kempenrit in Belgium but that only made a slight improvement.

I bought a hydraulic cable oiler and then modified it to fit the cables fittings
I used that to force 3 in one down it a few weeks ago it was slightly better but not much and deteriorated with a hot engine.

A lot of discussion has ensued about the cable liner construction is it nylon is it absorbing water from the oil and swelling etc.

Well I thought *** it let put it to the test
I removed the cable and cleaned it out using the hydraulic pump with gunk
and then gallons of water to clean it out.

I then let it dry and used GT85 on it again forced (although it did not really need it) with the tool.

I now have a cable as free as it possibly could be the inner drops through under it own weight the PTFE or Teflon in the lube is doing its job and no sign of the liner swelling

Only time will tell if this makes a difference or not.

Need to get back behind the wheel and do some miles...........
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote