View Single Post
Old 4th August 2018, 17:23   #12
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Keep up the good work Colin - seems like you're really putting yourself through the mill!

I'm not sure how important strength-building is for your particular training needs (as opposed to e.g. cardio fitness etc), but if that's something you feel the need to work on then it might be worth discussing the Wendler programme with your trainer. In case you haven't heard of this, it's done with free weights (i.e. barbells) and focuses on four key lifts - bench press, back squat, deadlift and military press. Each day, you pick just one of those lifts to focus on as part of your overall training session - this LINK provides a pretty clear explanation. I've done it a fair few times and I've found it works really well for increasing both limb and core strength, e.g. going from a one-rep maximum deadlift of 130kg around mid-May to 155kg last week.

It's usually done in four week stints, with the fourth week being a "deload" session, so you could actually fit in two rounds of it before your fight, especially if you train four or more days per week.

NB I'm sure your trainer has told you this already, but don't forget to build in recovery time! You'll need to take a day or two per week where you're just not training.

Keep 'er lit.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote