View Single Post
Old 20th March 2009, 14:14   #1
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts
Default How To support the Car on Axle Stands

I'm not offering advice, I'm just wondering if such advice has been set down in a HowTo type way? I've scanned the files, but didn't spot anything related to axle stands.

We all know how inadequate the OEM jack is for anything but emergency use in case of a wheel swap. However, I'm pretty sure lots of owners will use this jack when doing various jobs that need under body access, servicing the brakes for example. The standard advice in these circumstances is to use axle stands, which provide much safer support for the lifted vehicle. The problem is, where do you place them? Where do you locate the stand/stands when the primary hard spot is already taken by the jack? There seems to be little informed advice as to the optimal places to locate stands when the jacking point is occupied. To improve safety, I've invested in a 3 tonne trolley jack and fabricated a special lifting plate to replace the standard cup. The plate locates into the default lifting pad socket. If anybody's interested, I'll post some images.

Remember that a jacked up car is inclined at a steep angle, so the axle stands must be placed where the body can't shimmy or slide. I believe the best locations are on the front subframe, but I don't think there are any specific location points on it. And what about the rear end? Some photos or diagrams of axle stands located at recommended points would be very helpful.

Does anybody have any suggestions on this important question?

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk. Neither the 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original authors in this thread can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following this thread's posts.
Any modifications should be reported to your insurance company.

Last edited by Dragrad; 27th January 2012 at 21:38..