View Single Post
Old 4th July 2020, 22:24   #25
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'm afraid that's another subject on which we disagree Brian.

All four of my torque wrenches have the reversal facility and don't tell me that this is for left hand threads!

Simon
Simon, you don't need to be afraid, but that is exactly what the reverse function of your average torque wrench is for, left hand threaded fasteners.

For the first five years of my working life I manufactured devices used in the calibration of torque wrenches, so I can say with a degree of confidence that I know a little about the subject

You could take a look HERE if you wish to research the company, it was called Thor Tools Tynemouth, the UK subsidiary of Stewart-Warner Alemite.

If a torque wrench is used, even if it is set to a higher torque setting than that of the fastener, the effort to overcome stiction is far higher than may be expected.

If you abuse a tool in that way, it will not as you suggest last a lifetime, instead use a breaker bar to slacken bolts, in the same way that ratchets should not be used to breakout rusted or high torque threaded fasteners.

You can have the best quality tools money can buy, but you misunderstand how to use them, you will damage them

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote