View Single Post
Old 25th April 2019, 21:25   #1
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Default New camera.... Help/advice required....

Hello,

I've started a new thread about this as I've now chosen and bought a new camera...

After much careful consideration, I decided that the Canon 6D mark 2 was the best for me.

I did a lot of research and the decision was not taken lightly.

Anyway, as weather sealing was a must, I decided that I would get an "L" lens to mount to it. I decided on a 24-70 F4L. It has great reviews and should compliment my new camera well.

I did some searching to see what deals were about.

It looks like to get brand new in a shop, I wouldn't get much change out of £2000.

I found a company, in the UK who would sell this to me for £1600.

UK company, next day delivery, good reviews, all seems great.

To be doubly safe I was getting what I thought I was, I sent them an email and asked:
"Can you confirm if this is a genuine brand new UK model in original Canon packaging?"

The reply was:
"Yes it is Philip"

Based on this, I bought it.
It turned up today, as promised. Well packed etc. Seamless so far.

I opened the box, all going well.
Looked at the camera box and there was a sticker that had been ripped off the front of the box. This annoyed me a bit because I like to keep the original boxes of expensive equipment.
I opened the box and the owners manuals were all there, in English including warranty registration cards.
The manual was a bit crumpled, which again annoyed me.

I put the battery onto charge and put everything back in the box. I was going to play tomorrow.

So, as a matter of curiosity, I decided to look on the Canon UK website and checked the serial number.
Guess what, it's not a UK official import.

Now, what would you do?
It has a two year warranty, which being honest, I'm unlikely to need. This two year warranty, so it seems is not with Canon, but with the seller......

I could send it back, but it will cost me another £400 to get a UK product, which actually is probably no different at all.

So, please, what would you do? I need advice!

The camera is made in Japan, I doubt Canon are going to make poor quality cameras for one region over another, so I am confident it's the same thing I would get from a high street shop over here.

Furthermore, if I had gone to Japan or wherever and was planning on buying a new camera and saw it over there for £400 less than the UK, I would have almost definitely bought it, but the issue I have is the fact I was lied to.

I imagine if I dispute it it won't be easy.