View Single Post
Old 12th March 2017, 15:42   #1
Don.Hasi
Regular poster

75 Saloon CDTi Auto

Default Hot start problems with serviced Diesel

I think, I know what you think... Hooray another one ... But after reading many topics, mine is a bit different. So thought give it (another) try.

When buying the car, the thermostat was kaput. So I was driven with mostly a quarter on the water gauge. Sometimes even less. The 135bhp Diesel started ok when >5°C. Beneath <5°C I had to use the FBH for some seconds. Of course it was not very effective with the great water circle steady open, but it helped enough to start the machine.

Now with some more ambient temperatures I have done the top hose thermostat mod and finally get good water values. The engine pulls very nicely after a quick service of air filter, Pcv and cleaning the EGR and throwing in some silicone tubes and viton rings so far, so good. The year before she got a new diesel filter and I think a new pump (don't know which one). She has now 140k mls on her young legs...

Sadly with more temperature in the engine bay it doesn't start when the engine and water is hot. I have to crank over minutes, well, it feels so, to get it started. If it were a NA, I would say, there are hot fumes in the airbox which have to be cranked through... It is just this amount of time for it.

Of course if I let cool her down, it works also, but with enough patience and cranking she will do it herself.

I have read about injector leak backs, cam and crank sensors, HP-System etc. but nothing which could explain so far this behaviour. The cam sensor which is the usual suspect in case of hot start problems should come IMO to daylight as well when the engine itself is hot not only the water... The oil gets not that hot with only, say 40°c water, but it still gets hot on the German Autobahn if it wants or not... And I could start her every time.

So, what do you think?
Don.Hasi is offline   Reply With Quote