Thread: towing
View Single Post
Old 19th February 2008, 21:31   #11
ragitty
I really should get out more.......

Jeep Cherokee Orvis

The basics:

All caravans or trailer must have rear reflectors - some need front reflectors but this depends on their age and width.

All caravans or trailers must have a full set of lights as required on the car, including VRM plate. However, a fog light is only required for trailers or caravans over a certain width.

Each motor vehicle has a maximum trailer weight, maximum axle weights and a GTW (gross train weight) - exceeding any one of these is an offence.

Any caravan or trailer weiging over 750Kgs must be braked - whether this is on all axles depends on the age of the trailer.

The caravan or trailer, if braked, must have a breakaway cable attached - so that if the trailer seperates from the vehicle, the cable pulls the brake on and then snaps off. This cable must not be attached to the towball or towbar. This, again, is not required for very old trailers (pre 1981 I think it was).

Additionally, some drivers (typically those who passed their test after 1st Jan 1997) can only drive a GTW of 3500Kgs, compared to someone who passed a day earlier being able to drive with a GTW of 7500Kgs.

Restrictions for those who passed their test after 1/1/97 are that they are limited to a maximum trailer weight of 750Kgs, unless the towing vehicle (unladen) weights the same or more than the trailer (laden) - AND the whole thing (GTW) is not to exceed 3500Kgs.

I'm sure I've missed something out, but that's most of it. It's a minefield with lots of little rules and no-one seems to know them all.

Last edited by ragitty; 19th February 2008 at 21:35..
ragitty is offline   Reply With Quote