View Single Post
Old 19th February 2020, 17:08   #19
CMOORESY
Avid contributor

MG ZT Auto and 75 Tourer

Thanks chaps,
Just to add a little more background -

The lip on the bonnet bayonet sits at the same height as the 10mm bolt heads hence you need the bent spanner to reach over the lip to the bolt. You also struggle to see the bolt also because of the lip.

Removing or flattening the lip from the leading edge of the bayonet securing plate allows much, much, easier access to the bolt heads as you effectively dont have to reach over the lip to get at the bolt head and can use an unbent spanner.

Its really one of those choices. You could remove both bayonets and flatten the lips as a precaution even if everything is OK, this way, its a quicker and easier job should you have any bonnet catch issues.

Also, if the bayonets are misaligned with the catch, you can also struggle to release the bonnet sometimes until you find the 'sweet spot' Unfortunately, finding the sweet spot can result in another jammed catch...

Hence I always roll the edges of my bonnet catches. If you are keeping the car, and haven't changed the bonnet cables yet, then chances are, you will be glad you did it.

As mentioned, I have opened 5 bonnets using this spanner over the last few years, but all of the cars were face-lifts, so I have no experience of doing this on a earlier model. I would imagine its the same?
CMOORESY is offline   Reply With Quote