View Single Post
Old 17th January 2020, 09:19   #14
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogweed View Post
Very common here in Ireland, as we have in practice two separate countries with no border in between, and of course two completely separate vehicle registration schemes and administrations. So, if you live in the South, and don’t want to tax your car, or want to get up to something dodgy, you just stick a Northern registration on your vehicle, and off you go… doesn't even have to be the same kind of car here, as there’s no cross-border checking.

I live in Northern Ireland. A year or two ago, my parents got something like a summons from an authority in the South claiming they hadn’t paid a road toll, and including a photograph of their registration number on a white Transit (they drive a grey Focus).

Nobody in the South is remotely interested if you write to them etc – it’s pay up, or else. Of course, the flip side is that, if you don’t pay (and we didn’t), there’s sweet FA they can do to enforce it either. My parents are very elderly now, and there’s no possibility of them crossing the border in their car – but, if they did, they’d risk arrest
That a bit brutal