View Single Post
Old 9th November 2019, 20:54   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightRovery View Post
Have tried SeaFoam which isn't specificaly an injector cleaner, more of an all rounder. at £15 a bottle it helped performance a bit but smoke soon returned. Have replaced the pcv filter.
Replace the fuel filter, fill with forte injector cleaner, start car up and run for ten to twenty seconds, and then leave overnight. Take it for an italian tune up the next day, and if that doesnt improve things, check the injector readings. T4 is best, however one of the version of TOAF allows for live readings (I cannot remember which, but it will give an indication if any are bad or at least how bad they are).

As mentioned, Mickeyboy is your man for replacement injectors, he tests them before supplying. He is one of the good guys.

Another thing to check, is the intercooler O rings. You mention replacing o rings, and I assume them to be these. However, when I did mine, I did it with the bumper and headlight in place. A couple of years later, I had to remove the headlight and bumper for another reason, and the gunk around the elbow area was surprising. With the headlight out, and the area cleaned up, I refitted the elbow again, and was able to push it home, only this time I was able to hear and feel the 'thunk' that everyone had spoken of previously. If on replacing the o rings, you didnt get that 'thunk' I would suggest checking that it is fully home.

EGR is a possible issue for smoke, and if your inlet is as bad as you say, there is a good chance that the EGR is pretty bad too.

Check the last two items out first (EGR and o ring 'thunk'), before spending any further monies, as these are free.

Look for oil around the turbo too, hopefully no leakage but whilst it is unlikely and just as uncommon, it is another potential source of smoking. Dirty/blocked air filter too.

Your issue could well be a combination of all of the above. Do the free things first, as they will only do good anyway.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 9th November 2019 at 20:57..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote