Thread: Jerky running
View Single Post
Old 16th July 2019, 16:18   #4
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

How'do Ken,

I will need to fire up my old laptop to retrieve some images i Have - I had a look on here and all the images from my previous posts r.e this issue are gone - and i don't have any useful images of this area on the laptop i'm using currently

rather frustrating as I know this issue makes the Car horrible to drive - dangerous even - Good news is, if it is the Boost Control Solenoid then it's easy to confirm and rectify and relatively inexpensive (no more than £40)

You will have to remove the Air filter Housing -

Unclip the Boost Solenoid (circled in the attached image) from the Air Filter Housing, unscrew the Jubilee Clamp securing the Inlet Air Duct, remove the 2 securing screws to the Back of the Cover.

remove the lid and Air Filter.

the Base of the Air Filter Housing will release with a Pull Up and Towards the front of the Car - may take one or 2 attempts (it's secured with 2 rubber bush mounts)

this will allow better access to the Turbo.

check the Vacuum Hose connections are secure at the Turbo - if these have come adrift the Solenoid can't function - and you'd be lucky re-connection should cure the issue.

also check hose connections are on the correct ports - I'll find the image i have showing correct connection and post asap

If the Vac Hoses are connected -

Remove the hoses from the Turbo and the Boost Solenoid - including the small Vac Hose that runs from the Solenoid to the Air Inlet Duct. (use electrical tape to temporarily seal the port on the Inlet Duct after removing the Small Vac Hose)

Connecting the 2 Ports on the Turbo using the Small Vac Hose will bypass the Electronc Boost Control Solenoid - and allow the Turbo to dump excess Boost Via the Wastegate

this will allow the Car to run at Wastegate Boost Pressure - put the Air Filter Housing etc back and go for a test run - if the issue has Gone you will need a new PierBurg Electronic Boost Control Solenoid and it may be worth replacing the Vac Hoses with Silicon Hose.

it will be fine to run the Car with the Wastegate "Hardwired" the only drawback is a bit less Boost Pressure.

[IMG][/IMG]

hope that makes some sense - i'll have a look tonight for some better images.

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote