View Single Post
Old 4th December 2007, 00:19   #12
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Wouldn't like to comment on the combustion temperature differences between egr equipped vehicles and those without as it is not only down to that. It's also down to any modification, condition and tune of the vehicle.

Exhaust gas temps for a turbo diesel car should be between 650 and 800 degrees C under full load conditions.
The petrol turbo cars should be between 700 and 900 Degrees C under the same conditions.

Turbochargers will start too cook over 900 degrees C

The best way to minimise combustion temperature is to make the inlet charge as cold as possible. If your intercooler is semi-clogged then it isn't going to be as effective.

I've run turbocharged cars both petrol and diesel since they were first available the first being a B type engined SAAB 900 with an mechanical wastegate. (rather than the later variable type). I also currently have a Citroen Activa CT. I've run them in various states of tune and have never had a turbo fail due to overheating.
The only turbo failure that I've had has been due to poor maintainence of the oil by a previous owner.

Russ
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote