View Single Post
Old 27th June 2019, 04:15   #19
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
My Wife handed her notice in as she was told she could have a holiday in September as there would be not enough staff in to cover her time off. In truth her manager wanted the same week off and relied on my wife to keep the office working when she was off.

When she did the deed the manager pleaded with her to change her mind and said she could have her week off. By then she was looking to having the summer off so she said NO.

Little did she know but the week after she had finished she got a call from a competitor too who she used to work for asking if she wanted a job. She was not sure as she had planned to have the summer off but she was offered a 30% more money and another 5 days annual holiday.

She starts on Monday.
Brilliant! - some firms, or more accurately, the people within them - never, ever learn.

Thankfully I have only been in a difficult position with two employers and one was very similar to what happened to your wife. I wanted to book holiday in late August to fit in with School re-start time in September and it was refused.

Me being me - said that it was booked and I’m taking it come what may and it all got a bit heated - which bearing in mind there was absolutely no reason why I could not take holiday in August - lead to my saying I would have to leave if they could not see it from my viewpoint.

It became clear that my immediate boss - whilst acting as a great guy and friendly to my face had told other people that he was showing me “who was boss”.

So I easily secured another job and resigned in the May before my holiday in August. In that May I was approached on three occasions by more senior managers saying “You’re not really going to leave are you?” - my immediate boss who caused the whole issue hardly said two words to me in that time.

But by that time the deed was done and I moved to a far better working environment and had an excellent summer holiday with no regrets at all.

Years later when I employed people in my own firm we always paid very close attention to family holidays and made sure people got the time they needed/wanted.

It really paid dividends.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote