View Single Post
Old 16th July 2019, 12:06   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Along a similar vein happened to my grandmother. In her later years suffering from dementia, she had to live in a care home. Between her and my grandfather (who died 14 years previously) had a house (which was signed over to my father and uncle at the time of my grandfather's death) and about 50k of savings.

Despite years of pleading with her to spend and enjoy it, she continued to save. Until she went to the home. Because of the savings, she had to pay for the care. This in itself, I have no issue with. However, the unfair part of that in my view is, she got no benefit of her savings. The care she received was as good as the care others with no savings (which again I dont begrudge).

Apparently if she had spent the money 'rapidly' in the 7 years prior to her going into the home, the authorities would have pursued this. She paid her taxes and national insurance for this, yet was effectively taxed again. Even when she passed away, her savings were just slightly over the threshold and therefore was still paying til her death. The only positive if you could suggest one, was that she wasn't aware her savings were dwindling.

As far as the family and I heritence went,no one went without, however e everyone felt the same as me, she earned it, not us. It was hers for her benefit which she did not receive.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote