Thread: MOT tomorrow...
View Single Post
Old 29th April 2019, 20:11   #1
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Default MOT tomorrow...

Hi Folks,

Well, I've clambered around and beneath the ZT-T and having had some knocking from the front occasionally I found split boots on the droplinks and so replaced with the genuine MG ones I've had here for a while.

Spotted that the pads were a bit skinny on the front. Not ready to stick on the 190 upgrade parts yet as I have to refurb the calipers first, so grabbed a set of Brembo pads with 50% off from EuroCarParts and flushed a bottle of new brake fluid through the system. All seemed OK on a test drive.

Handbrake adjusted to the best of my ability and I think it's OK to go for test tomorrow.

The ZT-T had better pass to be honest as I have a poorly Peugeot 406 estate (the daily workhorse). It snapped the front O/S spring with a loud bang as I moved up the queue in the local recycling centre! The car dropped down on the front bumpstops and was rendered immobile with the spring against the tyre and it was also wrapped around the front upright. The team at the centre came to the rescue with a few cones to guide other cars around me while the RAC were on the way.

Once with me, 5 minutes with an angle grinder by the RAC chap and the spring was cut off the car in bits. No damage to tyre, brake lines or wiring to ABS/pad sensor discovered and the chap installed 2 split collars around the damper piston to lift the car up (but still resting on the bumpstop). This meant I could then drive carefully home avoiding potholes (amazed how well it drove on 3 springs to be honest!) but now have to repair it.

Can't bring myself to just change a spring...I have to do pairs...and the top mount bearing broke apart losing all the ball bearings anyway. While I'm in there it might as well be time for some new shocks (amazingly only £42 each plus VAT from Peugeot), springs (not Peugeot ones though - they are something like £140 plus VAT each!) and top mounts/bearings.

Hopefully the ZT-T will get a clean bill of health and I can park up the 406 to sort the front suspension. Then I'll probably have to do the rear shocks and springs on the 406 to keep it all level!

Cheers all.

Jonty
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote