View Single Post
Old 24th November 2019, 15:58   #17
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

was never intending to just use the solar as a charger , trying it as possible top up whilst any car is stood about to try an save any going flat. But it doesn't seem to be enough. even fully charged the V8 will go flat within 10-12 days or thereabouts.

Mind you I also have a screw type battery disconnect on the car , but found out recently that the Boot board just presses on it and makes a connection so defeats the object some thing sort out next .

Already got a halfords 6 amp and a small 6 amp smart charger , so no need for xmas prezzies
C.

PS the Solar panel outputs 17-18 v .so appprox 500ma . and its the controller that does the work ?

once i figure out the chinglish manual this may change

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Chris,

Your evidence of frequently failing batteries strongly suggests that they're not been kept sufficiently charged due to infrequent use of the cars.

I'd say that it won't be ok Chris. The voltage is too low, it needs to charge at 13.5 v or higher.
Also, 10 watts equates to 0.7 amps maximum output, presumably in full sun, which you won't get at the time of year that you most need it. It's pitifully inadequate unless used as a maintenance charge on an already fully charged battery which yours obviously are not.

The solution Chris is to take your batteries one at a time indoors and charge them continuously using a mains powered smart charger rated at, say, 5 amps. Such a charger will cost you about the same as one replacement battery. Put it on your Christmas list.

Simon
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 24th November 2019 at 16:04..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote