View Single Post
Old 21st May 2011, 08:19   #1
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Default !!!!! KV6 major water loss and (possibly) no circulation

Just got home after a trip on a breakdown truck. Changed the lower engine mount yesterday and the car clearly didn't approve.

Drove a mile and a half, stopped for a couple of mins, set off again and was overheating, temp needle pointing at 12 o'clock and red light on. Parked up where I had just stopped and saw a large puddle!! Car ran for less than 1 min from being stopped.

Breakdown guy cam up about 30-40 mins later, temp needle still at 12 o'clock with red light, he started the engine to try and see what was going wrong (his idea not mine, I was worried about causing hgf). Engine run for about a minute. There water in the expansion tank.

Guy said that water wasn't circulating and that it would be either the water pump or thermostat jammed. I don't think either is likely as the jammed thermostat presumably wouldn't cause the major coolant loss and the water pump was replaced a month ago (although I thought I heard an unusual noise a bit before breaking down?) and I've done just under 100 miles since (been on holiday).

I've looked at the V and no sign of coolant there.

Any ideas anybody? I'm about to have a look underneath. Any help massively appreciated.

Colin.

Last edited by Bolin; 21st May 2011 at 18:26..
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote