View Single Post
Old 13th October 2019, 10:01   #7
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

There is likely to be some confusion on the rules regarding sills,as in countless other subjects mainly due to the unhealthy appetite for manipulation of set regulating rules as set out in the testers manual. So many things in life now seem to be argued and or new rules implemented by testers opinions or the public offering up a sweetener so their car will pass. & how many cars have been presented for test by owners here with ageing vehicles that score "No Advisories" Come on folks, really ? No corrosion, no wear on any bushes, tyres, joints. No suspension rear arm corrosion, headlamp aim too high. Come on, your not fooling me on this, if you believe all that, you must know the tester or they simply don't care.
Off subject a bit, but still related to rules that really don't get taken seriously - Speeding, so you get a ticket, the first thing that starts is the arguments regarding what the limit was, how many were overtaking ETC, Grow up folks, you got caught doing it, face up to it and pay for the breaking of the law, it's there for a reason weather you agree or not - the law was broken, you got caught at it so speed your way to pay for the lawless act.
The sill panel at either end as one complete panel has strength which whatever opinions exist is a panel that forms an integral load bearing section, it is as such a testable item and it's strength at any 1 given point must not be compromised. The tester manual is the only real way to ascertain how the presented vehicle should be tested.

I for one, don't do bent tests, and even if I was testing my car this time (Off Long Term Sick) and stupid enough to ignore the obvious fail item, it would compromise the effect of proper testing, and my integrity. The repair is taking place regardless of opinions on here or anywhere else.
I understand that many will argue my point, I don't care one bit why, I have a responsibility and will rely on my experience and knowledge to test accurately and have a clear conscience. The customer is always welcome to dispute any decision made by a tester, and has a period of time to advise DVSA of their argument. In many cases, DVSA will usually side with the customer unless the failed item is obviously dangerous, so the attitude towards testing is strict, through and not compromising the clear bible of rules.
The tester manual is open-book, so anybody can read through it and manipulate their own rules from it as they see fit.

The templates that I produced were of thin sheet steel, the idea was to give some ideas of how I'd like the repair to be performed without making the sill look like it's obviously been repaired from a kerbside view.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote