View Single Post
Old 20th December 2017, 09:22   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Hi, bit of a contradiction really, sound engine and gearbox then, you mention throwing in second hand motor and or gearbox.

Don't think the 75's are more or less better or worse than most modern cars available over the past 10 to 15 years, they are nice to drive especially on motorways, comfortable with plenty of extras.

They can suffer with clutch problems but so do many other makes such as Ford and Vauxhall, this is more down to design and especially dual mass flywheels, slave cylinders inside the gearbox. Repair cost again is more or less the same for all makes.

Water ingress can be a problem though, it can be rectified as can sticking door locks, I'm running a Passat and get rain water in both foot wells when it rains, the rubber matt's catch it.

With any car of 10 years plus you will have to keep on top of the maintenance, in the case of the 75's it's no different however, with this forum you have access to a huge knowledge base to help you.

Consider also the price at which you can buy one, they represent great value for money, a lot of car for not a lot of money.

Merry Xmas.
With the Passat, especially if it is a b5 or 5.5, clear the plenum drains, especially the middle one. And check the condition of the brake master cylinder. They were notorious for this even at just a year old! Subsequent models are affected I was told, just not as bad. (Also if it is the 5 or 5.5, remove the wheel arch liners, and remove the sponges between the wings and liners. On my old one they were bare sponge! At least rovers absorption sponges are in plastic bags Lol)

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote