View Single Post
Old 21st February 2019, 18:30   #104
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
And all I did was accept that I'm open to being proven wrong if you could substantiate your assertion on voltage spikes with a bit more than a quoting a formula, Apparently not.

I never claimed to fail to understand your theory (OK, once, in jest). Just that I fail to come to the same conclusion from what you've presented.

As for getting personal: I can only comment on what I read (what you write) and call out any apparent contradictions as I see them. My comprehension or otherwise of your theory does nothing to substantiate it or prove that it's correct (or false). I don't comment to bait or flame, but rather to encourage you to express and prove (substantiate) your theory in a way that the wider readership could understand. If you don't want to do that, that's your right: in which case though my previous comment still stands: that you prefer to baffle with alphabet soup and sound like you know what you are talking about than demonstrate that you actually do by experiment or calculation. Remember that a theory is proven by.... proof, not lack of negation....
You still fail to understand that I have no need to substantiate or prove anything to you. To think otherwise is a sign of total ignorance on you part. To pass judgement on a fellow member, if you cannot understand their points of view, lacks decorum and basically is an indication of idiotic arrogance.

If you believe that what I say is incorrect, you need to state why and if you feel so inclined, back it up with science/theory. The fact that the formula I wrote applies to transient generation from inductive loads would be understood by any AS-level physics student with any understanding of basic electromagnetic principles. The fact that you equated the formula to "spinning magnetic field" told me all that I needed to know of your understanding of the field.

What you had stated was that other than the alternator, there were no large inductors (meaning capable of generating transients) in our cars. I listed a whole host that are present in all cars.

You may care to study the following application note from Harris Semiconductor - people who design and manufacture transient suppressors for automotive applications - and note item 4 in the table on page 2, i.e.

< 320μs Inductive-load Switching transient <1J -300v to +8-V often

http://www.industrologic.com/autotransients.pdf

What formula do you think applies when these are generated?

If you wish, please state why you believe that the formula I stated does not apply as I stated, which was that it shows the amplitude of the generated transient is dependent on the rate of change of current (the dI/dt term) and the inductance does not have to be very large to to generate a large transient voltage.

Even better, why don't you suggest a formula yourself? This should be easy for you given your extensive knowledge.

I will leave it there, so that you can have the last post.

I will say that when you don't understand something, a little less of the idiotic arrogance will go a long way!

Last edited by MSS; 22nd February 2019 at 06:40..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote