View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:27   #11
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I've had one gold resistor 'explode' - the radiator and fan survived .

The reason for the explosion is simple - water ingress - when super heated inside the resistor body turns to pressurised steam causing it to blow the core out of the body.

The current resistor on mine has the ends sealed with high temperature silicone sealant to prevent water ingress: and so far, over about a year and 15k miles, has been fine. A 100W resistor is well up to the job. The standard 50W silver resistor isn't, the designers (or penny pinchers) de-rated the component on the basis of it getting airflow to aid cooling - they did their sums wrong: resulting in a shorter life for the part. If you are going to go to the trouble of multiple resistors in a network and relocate them then you may as well look at designing a PWM circuit... The gold 100W resistor is fine when correctly fitted and sealed.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 2nd May 2017 at 08:46.. Reason: steal/sealed big typo...
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote