View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2007, 19:24   #75
MrBitsy
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Ray

Is there any chance you could post up the method you used and the products in the order they were applied ?
Sure

I tried various products and settled on Meguiars. None of their products leave any residue and each one gives great results.

First the car is washed using the two bucket system. One bucket contains 'Gold Class' shampoo, and the other clean water. A 'Mit' is used so that any dirt and grit is drawn up into the fibers while washing. The 'mit' is rinsed often in the clean water. The car is rinsed and dried using a 'Sonus Der Wunder Towel' instead of a chamois. The towel will dry the whole car and not need to be wrung out!

The car is then 'Clayed' using a lube and clay bar. This step removes contaminates bonded to the paint surface. When complete, the paint will be glass smooth and already more glossy. After this step, the car was washed and dried again.

Now is the time to polish to remove scratches, swirls and oxidisation. I used a three step process to polish - the better the job at this stage, the better the shine and gloss at the end.

Each panel on the car was treated twice with ScratchX, in an attempt to reduce surface 'swirls' and light scratches. After this, each panel was treated twice with 'Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner'. This is a finer grade cleaner than 'ScratchX'. The final pass used 'Deep Crystal Polish' the finest grade polish. Each panel was done three times to really smooth out the surface and make the paint reflective and glossy.

Now is the time to protect the finish. As I had not used a polisher, I chose a product that contained 'fillers' to mask any remaining light scratching and swirls. I used #21 sealant for this task.

At this point, the car has a very reflective finish, but with no 'warmth' or 'glow', so I applied two coats of #16 paste wax. After the wax had cured (24 hours) I applied a layer of 'Ultimate Quick Detailer' (UQD) for a fantastic extra deep shine.

The car is now finished with just regular maintenance to keep it clean. After washing, or when the paint is a little dull, a spray and wipe of Ultimate Quick Detailer really does make the car look like it has just been waxed (15 minutes for whole car).

A lot of work, but now I can enter maintenance mode.

Weekly wash and UQD
Quarterly polish and wax.
Six monthly clay
Yearly full deep clean.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by MrBitsy; 23rd November 2007 at 19:30..
MrBitsy is offline   Reply With Quote